This skin problem can be a miserable condition. It's an autoimmune disease which appears as red or silver patches of scaly, itchy, and inflamed skin. These patches are called "plaques" and generally are seen on elbows, knees, hands, feet, scalp and back. The fingernails and toenails become pitted discovered in over half of the psoriasis cases and some people develop "psoriatic arthritis", which causes pain, swelling and stiffness around the joints according to the American Academy of Dermatology.
What is the cause of Psoriasis?
By now your asking yourself what causes this irritating condition. It's cause appears like a skin problem but it's due to our immune system. Our skin cells are being formed deep below the surface of our skin. The process of the cells flaking off and making way for new skin cells normally takes about a month. If you have psoriasis, this process takes days therefore; skin layers build up which is what forms a crust. Blood vessels will rush to save the day in fighting the problem which in turn causes the redness and swelling. If you think you have psoriasis click here to find out more about psoriasis.
What are the symptoms of Psoriasis?
|Do You Itch?|
The symptoms of psoriasis can be from a mild to debilitating severity. It can really cause so many other health and emotional issues. The itchy area is aggravating but the emotional affects of psoriasis have been found to be worse than the physical for some people. In many people, psoriasis causes depression and their self confidence is at a low due to the appearance of the skin. They will feel isolated as well. I had a coworker at one point in my career that had psoriasis really bad on his elbows.
Well now for the moment you've been waiting for, here are the 7 tips for skin care if you have psoriasis:
- Moisturize- In order to keep your skin moist you have to moisturize and can't forget. It will soothe and help relieve the symptoms of psoriasis. Moisture can help heal this condition as well. Check out this great and inexpensive product that does work. Psoriasin Multi-Symptom Psoriasis Relief Ointment, Intensive Moisturizing, 4 Ounces (Pack of 2)
- Bath Daily- I know this seems like something I don't need to say but there are people that don't bath daily. It is pertinent with psoriasis that you bath daily using a mild soap. This will help remove the dry skin and soothe the itch.
- Reduce Stress- Stress can cause or irritate many conditions and illnesses. We should always try to stay calm, look for solutions to the issues that cause stress in your life.
- Sunlight- Believe it or not UV light will help psoriasis. It helps heal the lesions and it soothes the skin. A practice of using UV light for skin problems has been a common treatment for acne.
- Smoking and drinking- Two things we should all avoid. Smoking has been known to aggravate psoriasis and increase the risk of a flare up. As well as drinking plus it can also make some medications used to control psoriasis less effective.
- Avoid harsh chemicals or textures- You should avoid rough or heavily textured clothing that can be scratchy against the skin. This will irritate psoriasis and cause more redness or swelling. Also very important to note that harsh chemicals in some detergent, soaps and products that contain alcohol.
- Stop scratching and picking- This is very difficult given the nature of psoriasis. You will have a terrible itch so scratching is the natural reaction. So many that have psoriasis end up picking the area infected. It seems as though manually removing the scaly skin or lesions will help but it really doesn't and the area can easily become infected.