10 Tips to Boost Your Metabolism
It's definitely a fact that when you speed up metabolism you can potentially burn more fat. It is the ultimate goal of weight watchers, and how fast your body burns calories really depends on a number of factors. Some people are lucky to inherit a speedy metabolism. Women tend to burn less calories than men, believe it or not even while resting.
Generally for most people, metabolism will significantly slow down after the age of 40. We all wish we could control the hands of time or age and genetics but we can't. There are other ways to increase metabolism. Here is 10 ways I found to boost metabolism.
Top 10 Tips to Boost Metabolism
1. Get Ripped- Building muscle is the ticket to an increased metabolism. Our bodies constantly get rid of fat, even when we’re doing nothing. This relaxing fat burning capacity is much higher in individuals with more muscle. Each pound of muscle uses about 6 calories a day just to support itself, while each pound of fat burns only 2 calories daily. That little difference can accumulate over time. In addition, after a round of resistance training, muscles are stimulated all over your body, increasing your average daily fat burning capacity.
2. Step Up Your Workout- You may not build big muscles with an aerobic exercise regimen, but it can rev up your metabolism for several hours after a workout. The key is to press yourself. A high intensity work out delivers a greater, longer increase in relaxing fat burning capacity rather than low to moderate intensity workouts. To get the advantages, try a more intense class at the gym or include brief bursts of jogging during your regular walk.
3. Fuel Up with Water- Our body demands water to process calorie consumption. If you are even mildly dehydrated, your metabolism may slow down. In one study, adults who consumed eight or more glasses of water a day burned more calories than those who consumed four. Drink plenty of water, tea or any other favorite unsweetened beverage before every meal or snack. In addition, try eating fresh fruits and veggies, which are full of liquid, rather than chips.
5. Guilt Free Snacking- I know you've seen many experts say for you to eat more if you want to lose weight and guess what that's right! Eating more really can help you shed body weight, that is eating more often. When you eat large meals with a lot of time in between, your metabolism decelerates. Having a little food or a snack every 3 to 4 hours will speed up your metabolism so you burn up more calories over the course of a day. Several studies have also shown that individuals who eat healthy snacks throughout the day eat less at meal time.
6. Liven Up Your Meals- Spicy foods contain chemical compounds that can boost the fat burning capacity into high gear. Consuming a tablespoon of chopped red or green chili can increase your metabolic rate. The effect is most likely temporary, but if you eat spicy foods often, the advantages may accumulate. For a quick boost to your metabolism, spice up your meals with red-pepper flakes. This adds a kick to your meal and helps you get your metabolism in high gear!
7. Boost Up with Protein- Our body will burn a lot more calories digesting protein as it uses for fat or carbohydrates. Although you want to eat a balanced diet, replacing some carbs with lean, protein-rich foods can boost the metabolism at mealtime. Some healthy sources of protein include lean beef, turkey, fish, white meat chicken, tofu, nuts, beans, eggs, and low-fat dairy products. You'll notice that I use tofu often in my "recipe of the day". I love tofu because it's healthy and filling too.
8. Booster Shot- If you're a coffee drinker, you will enjoy the increased energy and focus that follows your morning cup. Taken in small amounts, one of coffee's advantages may be a brief increase in your metabolism.
9. Recharge with Tea- Drinking green or any other unsweetened teas offers the advantages of caffeine and catechin. Both substances have shown to ramp up metabolism for a couple hours. Studies suggest that drinking two to four cups of tea may propel your metabolism to get rid of 17% more calories than normal during a moderately extreme work out.
10. Avoid Crash Diets- Are you a Yo-Yo dieter? Don't be a Yo-Yo! Diets involving eating less than 1,000 calories per day are disastrous for anyone hoping to quickly lose weight or increase their metabolism. Although these diet plans may help you drop pounds (at the expense of good nutrition), a significant number of the loss comes from muscle. A good rule to remember is the lower the muscle mass, the slower your metabolism. The final result is your body will burn less calories (and gains body weight faster)than before you went on the diet.
The affect of various foods and beverages on the metabolism is small compared to what you need to maintain a healthy weight. Your best bet for creating a calorie burning machine is to get ripped, stay active and eat healthy. The more you move during the day, the more calories you will burn. One thing to remember is working out in the morning has the benefit of speeding up your metabolism at the start of your day.
For more information on metabolism check out this video! Be informed so you can make good decisions about your health.
Subscribe today and get your daily dose of health tips, information and quality products! When you subscribe you will receive a free ebook "365 Tips for Healthy Living".